Monday, July 5, 2010

Baklava - first draft



I've been planning to try to make Baklava ever since having some from La Casbah in Waterloo - sweet, gooey yumminess! It took me several weeks to get some rose water. But on Saturday, armed with a video from dedemed.com, I took the plunge. It's not really very complicated. It would be much worse if you had to make the phyllo...but who does that??

It turned out fine - not terrific, but fine. After several pieces and much deliberation, I've decided that I used too much nut filling, and didn't chop it finely enough.

My husband keeps saying it's so rich that you only need one piece...NOT ME! I have to restrain myself from wolfing down half the pan! I wonder what it's like to be someone who feels that they've had enough dessert....defies my imagination, actually. Perhaps he just doesn't like it and is afraid to admit it. This is the guy who can eat Eagle brand milk out of the can - talk about rich!

I also tried to make lemon sorbet - not so successful. It is so tart and icy that it makes my eyes water. Think I'll save it for my daughter, who seems to have a wide range of tolerance along the sweet-tart continuum!

I really should try to actually cook something and stop all this baking. As I'm fighting the late midlife battle of the bulge, this is fairly self-destructive! So my self-imposed goal for next week is to try a new dinner recipe and if there's dessert with it, that's OK too.

On another note, I am about ready to give up on gardening - the voracious earwigs are ruining everything from clematis to basil to eggplant. The slugs I can fight (and actually enjoy trying to outwit them with copper/salt/beer traps!) - however, the earwigs just defeat me. I am starting to really appreciate what organic farmers go through. When all is said and done, my homegrown veggies will probably work out to about $200/pound!

No comments:

Post a Comment